Registration is by invitation only. Click below to learn more.
My guest this week is Linda Donalds. Linda was diagnosed with ADHD in her early 40s. Like so many who were diagnosed later in life, the ADHD diagnosis helped explain so many of her struggles. Professionally, Linda is a board-certified hypnotist. She’s been an active member of the Guild of Hypnotists for over 20 years, and in recent years has shifted her focus to using her hypnosis for helping adults and teens struggling with ADHD and sleep-related issues with ADHD.
Linda is an alumnus of our ADHD reWired Coaching and Accountability groups and knows that I am somewhat skeptical of hypnosis. In this discussion, I am setting aside my judgments, and I will be open and curious.
Linda explains that hypnosis is a state where your brainwaves slow down, and it’s like being on the edge of sleep without actually falling asleep. It allows you to harness your busy thoughts by exploring the past, present, and future. In this episode, you will get the opportunity to participate in a guided hypnotic experience.
Connect with Linda Donalds:
Bonus Gift from Linda: https://newhorizonsinhypnosis.com/adhdrewired/
- [03:56] – Linda talks about working in two spaces that have a lot of skepticism, hypnosis and ADHD. She shares some specific concerns
- [07:22] – Linda says there is a fine line between using ADHD as an explanation and an excuse.
- [09:28] – Linda gives a thorough an explanation of what hypnosis is. As a hypnotist who specializes in sleep, she puts things into context by comparing it to sleep stages.
- [13:11] – Hypnosis has three characteristics, and when these characteristics exist together, you have a hypnotic state.
- [23:17] – Linda lays the groundwork as she prepares to lead us through a hypnotic experience. This includes some safety disclaimers and suggestions.
- [26:47] – Linda walks us through a guided hypnotic experience.
- [37:08] – Linda brings us out of this hypnotic experience. She agrees with me that there are a lot of similarities between hypnosis and meditation.
- [39:47] – I share my experience with meditation and explain that having a voice guiding me helps me significantly. Linda explains that hypnosis allows you to harness the busy thoughts. We also discuss the role of memories.
- [51:23] – Linda shares how hypnosis can help with sleep issues.
- [57:10] – We end this discussion by talking about the evidence for hypnosis, and the lack of evidence of hypnosis as a treatment for ADHD.