Spring Season: April - mid-June 2021
Registration is by invitation only. Click below to learn more.
Do you celebrate all of life’s moments, good or bad, with food? Eric and his guest, Luz Jaramillo, discuss why this can lead to eating disorders, how you can break this habit, and achieve a healthy lifestyle and wellbeing plus much more on this episode of ADHD reWired.
Luz is the owner of Brain Body Coach, has a Master’s in Social Work, is a certified life coach, Masters in Neuro-Linguistic programming, a certified brain health coach, and many more. Luz is also a best-selling author, motivational speaker, and has ADHD, dyslexia, and learning difficulties. She has suffered from an eating disorder most of her life, but after studies and research, she could heal and lose over 50lbs, improving her focus and health.
Listen, as Luz and Eric discuss how to switch your emotional thoughts, change thought patterns, and the importance of eating healthy food. Eric shares that the ADHD brain does not process carbs well, so most times, it is better to limit them and substitute protein for more energy.
Consistency is the Key! Luz speaks about food, not being your friend; it is fuel and needs to be treated that way. Eat to live; don’t live to eat! Luz and Eric share some ways that you can get healthy snacks prepared and portioned out so you can grab a bag and go quickly and conveniently. Know that if you slip, it’s ok to get back up and try to be better tomorrow.
Luz has been there, done that, she knows about eating disorders and ADHD. If any of this resonates with you, this is an episode that you can’t miss. Listen to what she has to say. It may be the difference between life and death.
- [01:56] Welcome to the show, Luz!
- [03:24] Luz shares when she learned she had ADHD.
- [03:58] How did your eating disorder lead you to learn you had ADHD?
- [05:12] Luz speaks about what form her eating disorder took.
- [07:28] When did you decide you needed help with this disorder?
- [10:10] Luz used neuro linguistic programming to switch her emotional thoughts from food to thoughts of pleasure.
- [12: 23] When you change your thought patterns, your internal critic screams louder and calls you a fraud. This is normal, and it takes time.
- [14:35] Luz was ready to have weight loss surgery before her sister got her to change her mind.
- [16:29] Looking back, how do you feel about how desperate you were?
- [21:11] Eric speaks about some regular issues around food and how he deals with the cravings.
- [23:06] Set up your environment to be conducive to what you need.
- [23:57] Luz shares how important it is to have nutritious food for at least three meals a day.
- [26:01] Eric shares that the ADHD brain does not do a good job of breaking down carbs.
- [28:08] Consistency is the key!
- [31:04] Luz suggests to people that food is not your friend, food is fuel.
- [32:03] How do you suggest that people stop when they know they are in the middle of a binge?
- [34:04] Replace the food with something else.
- [35:20] Eric shares that many people he knows are doing a sugar detox.
- [37:00] How sensitive to sugar are you? Have you been tested?
- [38:03] Luz says you should tell yourself it’s just for today, focus on one day at a time.
- [41:10] Meditation and mindfulness are the keys to success.
- [46:42] Luz shares some tips on how to have healthy food ready to eat for snacks.
- [49:55] Have you found any services or different resources to help people systemize eating nutritious foods?
- [52:01] You have to have the correct mindset, it might be harder if you have ADHD, but it is still doable.
- [52:46] Know that you will slip, and that’s ok get yourself right back up.
- [55:00] Willpower starts strong in the morning, and it’s a slippery slope later in the day if you don’t recharge your system with the right food.
- [57:17] Thank you so much for being on the show!
- [58:17] If you are a regular listener, consider becoming a patron and on our Patreon at www.ADHDreWired.com