In this episode, Brittany Smith returns to the podcast! Eric and Brittany share some of the digital automation tools they use, such as battery delivery for Tile, automated messages, using smart-lights, setting reminders and routines, and more! You will also hear Eric and Brittany talk about some of the pain-points they attempted to solve using apps and automation.
Brittany is a productivity, ADHD, and technology coach and recently published her first course, “From Aggravated to Navigated: Choosing a task-management system with ADHD”. She has a Masters of Science degree in Cognitive Neuroscience lab at the University of Oregon. Brittany uses geeky pop-culture and cognitive science to help her clients and ADHD Guild members get more done with less stress.
Connect with Brittany:
- Devise & Conquer
- Brittany Smith – Productivity and ADHD Coach – Devise & Conquer Productivity Coaching | LinkedIn
- Devise & Conquer (@Devise_Conquer) / Twitter
- Devise & Conquer: Productivity, Technology, ADHD – YouTube
Questions Answered In this Episode:
- How does Brittany use automation?
- What is the importance of ‘stability’ when using apps for automation?
- What can you do with smart-bulbs?
- Can automation help routines?
- If someone has been thinking about getting into automation but they haven’t purchased anything yet to start (smart switches, smart devices, smart bulbs, etc.), is it a good idea to stick with one platform? Why?
- What is Tile? What does the premium version of Tile do?
- What is the Shortcuts app? (for iOS users only) What are some good uses for an ADHD life?
- What is possible with automation?
- Can finances be automated?
Before jumping into automation tools, here are some questions to consider before you start:
- How can I scaffold my executive functions through automation?
- What exactly do you want from automation?
- Where is your pain point where automation can help?
- What are the fiddly things that you would like to have happen for you?
- What’s really going to make a dramatic difference in your life?
Honorable Mentions & Resources:
- How to Automate Your Life with Apple’s Shortcuts App (iOS only)
- Tile (Android™ and Apple® compatible)
- OmniFocus (iOS only)
- Keyboard Maestro
- IFTTT “If This Then That” (Android™ and Apple® compatible)
For our listeners who are PC and Android™ users – What tools do you use, if any, to automate your executive functions in your daily life? Comment below!