In this episode, Eric is joined by Allison Lieberman, a licensed marriage and family therapist, is certified in postpartum mental health, and is a new-mom coach! She is the host of The New Mama Mentor Pod and helps new moms find peace and balance in their chaotic lives.
You’ll hear Allison share when she was diagnosed with ADHD, how her diagnosis impacted her practice and her life as a mom, how she struggled with postpartum anxiety after having her first child, the dangers of glorifying worrying as a parent, the personal narratives that arise as a parent, and Allison’s mission to bring light to postpartum anxiety.
Then, Eric and Allison dive into the work she does to educate new moms, the things that Allison has been learning with postpartum in the realm of ADHD, her experience with overstimulation and sensory processing, and the effects of stress, and differentiating between trauma and ADHD.
Finally, you’ll hear why Allison started her podcast, medical gaslighting, and how journaling can help through the process.
Connect with Allison:
- Instagram: @thenewmamamentor
- Facebook: The New Mama Mentor Podcast
- Rooted in Harmony Counseling
- Podcast: The New Mama Mentor®
Other Questions & Topics in this Episode:
- What is the difference between postpartum depression and postpartum anxiety? What about the similarities?
- Is postpartum anxiety a part of the DSM?
- What is postpartum mental health?
- ADHD medication during pregnancy: Yes or no?
- What is a reproductive psychiatrist?
- If someone is thinking about getting pregnant, what are some of the things they can go to their doctors with when it comes to medication?
- How does Allison differentiate between symptoms of trauma vs. ADHD for new moms?
- What has Allison found to be most helpful for clients who have ADHD during this phase of life?
- What kinds of tools or other supports can Allison recommend for new parents?