Returning to the podcast is David Greenwood, the author of Overcoming Burnout: Real Life Strategies for Burnout, Recovery, and Prevention. He is also the author of Overcoming Distraction: Thriving with Adult ADHD and hosts the ADHD podcast called “Overcoming Distractions.”
- Hear David Greenwood previously on ADHD reWired on episode #165 – Overcoming Distraction with David Greenwood
- Hear Eric as a guest on David’s podcast: How does Accountability Help Those with ADHD? | on Overcoming Distractions with David Greenwood
Questions/Topics Answered in this Episode:
- [00:05:44] What made David want to write about burnout?
- [00:07:45] What is burnout? What are the symptoms/basic signs of burnout?
- [00:09:26] What is the line distinguishing between depression and burnout?
- [00:10:45] Alleviating stress is not the same thing as alleviating the stressor. What’s the difference?
- [00:13:40] “Burnout recovery starts with the body.”
- [00:20:28] How do we know if we’re in a period of stress vs. actual burnout that needs to be addressed?
- [00:24:04] What else can we do, other than exercise, to help with burnout?
- [00:36:17] Recap of the 6 things to do when you begin to recognize you’re headed to burnout.
- [00:37:48] Another way to help with burnout is…
- [00:40:03] How do drugs/alcohol affect burnout?
6 things to do when you begin to recognize you’re headed to burnout:
- Talk with someone you trust.
- Hit the gym / do something physical & exercise
- Sit still. Try for 30 minutes to start.
- Book a weekend away.
- Manage your time.
- Test your “no” and say no to at least one thing.
Resources & Honorable Mentions:
- ADHD reWired episode #404: Let Pleasure be the Measure with Pasha Marlowe
- Watch and listen to Eric’s interview with one of his past podcast guests, Pasha Marlowe, on Pasha’s Podcast Neuro*Queering on YouTube: Coming Out Again with Eric Tivers
- Pasha’s Book: My Next Husband Will Be a Lesbian: A Collection of Stories From Womxn Finding Their Truth
The Annual International Conference on ADHD is coming soon! Join virtually or in person in Dallas, Texas! Then, listeners of ADHD reWired can get 15% off your registration at https://adhdrewired.com/adhdcon2022! Or use the promo code adhdrewiredadhdcon2022 at checkout!