Registration is by invitation only. Click below to learn more.
Are you almost always uncertain of the expectations and on shifting sand? This is just one topic we cover in our monthly Q & A session with guests Brendan Mahan and Will Curb. We are taking questions from you, the listener, about situations you want to talk through. It doesn’t matter if it’s personal or professional; we are here to give you our perspective and see if we can help you find some answers.
Andrea starts off the questions, wanting to know what the guys do to get started when there are things to get done. Kelvin has some questions about hair loss while taking Ritalin, and a listener wants to know if they should make a doctor’s appointment for their child if they think they have symptoms of ADHD.
Listen, as Eric speaks about Sluggish Cognitive Tempo, Sara wants to know how to take a break when she is hyper-focused, and a listener wants to know how to take a course while struggling with structure. There is also a question about the perfect app for ADHD life management, and MJ wants to know how the guys are handling food and nutrition for their children since they don’t have to pack lunches.
A listener asks about how to build consistency, how to address the stress of not having enough work to do, and Cheryl has a question about people talking so fast that she is having issues understanding them. Remember, during this time, your children are not expected to progress in school, they are expected to maintain what they have already learned so make learning fun.
As usual, the answers are varied and entertaining, but with what is going in our world, being entertained is what we need. So listen to this episode of ADHD, it will put a smile on your face.
- [01:42] Welcome to our monthly Q & A with Will Curb and Brendan Mahan.
- [03:22] Brendan shares his positive perspective on Covid-19 and ADHD.
- [05:48] What is it you can do to thrive during this pandemic?
- [07:31] Will shares that he has less time now with the pandemic.
- [10:04] Andrea wants to know if any of the guys have a mantra or saying that kicks them into action.
- [11:03] Will shares what he says to find his first steps.
- [12:08] Brendan gives us what makes him start in the morning.
- [14:26] We can do hard things, but we don’t have to do them in the hardest way possible.
- [16:50] Kelvin wants to know if Ritalin has hair loss side effects and can a cardiologist tell if my heart is fit for Ritalin?
- [17:48] They will do an EKG, and the cardiologist can discuss it with you from there.
- [18:54] Should I make a Dr appointment for my child because I think he has ADHD?
- [20:36] What are your thoughts on Sluggish Cognitive Tempo?
- [21:55] Eric addresses this disorder and shares what they looked at during a study.
- [24:14] Sara asks, how do you stop and take a break when hyper-focus takes hold?
- [29:36] Will speaks about taking planned breaks, drinking lots of water so that it forces you to take breaks.
- [30:15] Brendan says there is no rule that says you have to take a break.
- [33:35] Eric says with all strategies experiment with what works for you.
- [36:34] I want to use this time to take a course but I am struggling with structure, any thoughts?
- [36:54] Brendan says to ask and see if anyone wants to take it with you, which will add structure.
- [38:09] Do you have a favorite recommended fully integrated ADHD life management app?
- [38:23] There is no perfect app, look for function over form.
- [39:29] How do you determine what is the most important thing you need to do that day instead of bouncing around from task to task?
- [39:39] Eric says he rolls a die sometimes, something is better than nothing.
- [40:34] Think about what one thing you can do that will have the domino effect to make all the other tasks more manageable.
- [42:04] MJ’s question is, how is everyone navigating nutrition at home, with not needing to pack lunches.
- [42:51] Eric talks about ordering food online and how frustrating that you can’t always have what you want.
- [43:42] Will talks about what his children asked him to give them for breakfast.
- [45:00] Brendan goes to the store and is making more of an effort to make healthy lunches.
- [54:24] How do I build consistency?
- [54:48] Erics speaks about consistency is a byproduct, not a goal!
- [55:45] If you write things down, you won’t have a blank page every day.
- [56:28] Have a schedule posted to remain consistent.
- [57:57] Please address the stress of not having enough work to do.
- [58:26] Check in’s work, and it’s okay not to work 8 hours a day.
- [59:03] Do what you can do if your boss is not being transparent about what they want you to do.
- [1:00:31] Cheryl’s issue is when people speak too fast and get upset with me when I ask them to repeat it.
- [1:01:05] Eric addresses this and shares how difficult it can be.
- [1:02:32] MJ, what are your thoughts on this?
- [1:03:39] Do you have any advice for parents who are trying to come to terms with teaching children from home during this uncertainty?
- [1:04:14] Your kids are not expected to progress during this time, maintain what they have already learned. Have fun!
- [1:06:34] Brendan and Will do you have a goal about how you want to feel this time next month?
- [1:08:25] Brendan’s goal is to lead and to help as many people as he can while prioritizing his family over everyone else.
- [1:09:18] Eric wants to be doing just a little much better than he is right now.
- [1:09:42] Thank you, Brendan, Will, and MJ for being on this show!
- [1:10:03] Always do your best and know that your best will be different every day.
- [1:10:54] If you’re a regular listener, consider becoming a patron and on our Patreon at www.ADHDreWired.com