Registration is by invitation only. Click below to learn more.
This is our monthly Q & A session with guests Brendan Mahan and Will Curb. We are taking questions from you the listener about situations that you want to talk through. It doesn’t matter if it’s personal or professional, we are here to give you our perspective and see if we can help you find some answers.
Our first question is from a listener who has been struggling to get a professional diagnose of what she believes is ADHD. She keeps getting the runaround and is asking for advice on where to go from here. Vanessa wants tips for dealing with avoidance issues when it comes to her work and financial habits, and another listener is asking what they should be looking for in an ADHD coach and what they should expect once they find one.
Daniel wants to find out what he can do when he lacks the motivation to get things done, why sleep is so important, and getting tested for sleep apnea. Emily’s question is what can she do with her history of unfinished projects, and Ben has a question about how marijuana and alcohol affect people with ADHD. Another listener asks the panel how to stay focused on a project once the new wears off.
We cover a wide range of topics, and we provide some creative takeaways no matter what stage you’re in with your diagnosis. Listen in as we not only discuss your questions but also the struggle we still have dealing with our ADHD.
- [02:04] Welcome to the show Brendan and Will for our monthly Q & A.
- [02:33] Listener talks about trying to get diagnosed and having issues with professionals that don’t have any knowledge of ADHD.
- [03:45] They suggest she get a second opinion and still do the management techniques.
- [06:03] What is causing you to down an ADHD diagnosis? What are your challenges?
- [07:01] How long have you suspected you have ADHD?
- [07:17] The challenges of just starting college is something they give some feedback on.
- [09:42] Vanessa’s question is around tips for dealing with avoidance issues with her work habits, she explains.
- [12:21] Eric is asking the panel, who of you have ever felt this way?
- [13:33] They talk about and discuss some core issues.
- [14:15] In regards to your finances, what have you put into place to help you?
- [15:49] The next question is what should I look for in an ADHD coach and what should I expect once I have one?
- [16:13] Will says it depends on how old you are and where you are in your life because that makes a difference. They talk about the credentials you should look for.
- [18:06] They talk about the ways to find a coach that works for you and the personality that you might work best with.
- [24:24] We are back with Vanessa once she finished what Eric asked her to do.
- [27:24] Daniel wants help with a lack of motivation to do things he needs to do and wants to do.
- [27:45] Eric gives a rundown on ADHD and motivation.
- [29:50] What is your need for stimulation? Are you low energy or high energy?
- [31:28] They discuss his lack of sleep and how important it is for people with ADHD to get rest.
- [37:32] How would you feel if you looked back on your life 30 years from now and know that you wanted to make changes but didn’t.
- [39:46] Emily says that her life is a series of unfinished projects, what can she do?
- [41:01] Eric addresses this with her.
- [45:46] How long have you had boxes in your home? How long has it been since you moved?
- [51:40] Ben has a question about how alcohol and pot affect ADHD.
- [52:13] Eric says that the current research doesn’t now encourage the use of marijuana to manage ADHD symptoms; he gives details.
- [55:48] A listener has a question around the hyperfocus of starting something new and then getting tired of it as the new wears off.
- [58:19] Can you set yourself up so that you are doing more than one thing at a time?
- [1:01:47] They discuss planning breaks, do a project, and then give yourself a time frame for time off.
- [1:05:08] We do this every 2nd week of the month with Will and Brendan.
- [1:06:38] If you’re a regular listener, consider becoming a patron and on our Patreon at www.ADHDreWired.com