Spring Season: April - mid-June 2021
Registration is by invitation only. Click below to learn more.
Today’s episode is our monthly Q & A session with guests Brendan Mahan and Will Curb. We are taking questions from you the listener about situations that you want to talk through. It doesn’t matter if it’s personal or professional, we are here to give you our perspective and see if we can help you find some answers.
Our questions today are about walking the line between self-care and coddling, how to manage the anger of your ADHD diagnosis, breastfeeding and ADHD medicines, and the guilt when you chose to stop breastfeeding to get back on track. They discuss a question about self-regulating with a focus on how to handle active real emotions management instead of losing your mind and some tricks they use to alleviate the stress. The last question today is about letting people know you’ve been diagnosed with ADHD and how to handle the feelings of coming out.
Please note that when we discuss medications, we can only address personal experience. Anytime you have been prescribed a drug. You should reach out to your provider regarding your symptoms and experiences. Not all medications are useful for all people. There are a variety of options, and you’ll need individual help to determine which medicines are right for you.
We cover a wide range of topics, and we provide some creative takeaways no matter what stage you’re in with your diagnosis. Listen in as we not only discuss your questions but also the struggle we still have dealing with our ADHD.
- [02:03] Welcome to the show Brendan and Will for our monthly Q & A.
- [02:30] They discuss their thoughts on a viewer’s question about self-care vs. coddling.
- [08:12] Ways to know the difference between the two.
- [12:05] A view wants to know how to handle the anger of diagnosed with ADHD.
- [13:20] The team speaks about how they are managing and tips that might help.
- [18:08] The external thoughts that go through your mind when getting the actual diagnosis of ADHD.
- [29:41] A mom’s question about breastfeeding and the meds to control ADHD.
- [31:35] They ask questions about her doctor and the meds that are safe to take.
- [34:16] The guilt when you decide to stop breastfeeding in favor of the meds.
- [37:01] You can bond with your baby even if you don’t breastfeed.
- [42:22] The second child is not more relaxed than the first one.
- [44:48] A question about how to self regulate and how to handle strong physical reactions without losing your shit.
- [44:49] Eric gives us ways he handles his responses.
- [47:30] Can you remove yourself from the situation?
- [49:45] Will talks about what works for him when he needs to manage his emotions.
- [56:29] How did you tell people about your diagnosis? Did it feel like a coming out?
- [01:00:25] Brendon gives ideas on how to say to people that you have ADHD.
- [01:04:13] Do you have a community that will support you? Friends, neighbors, or coworkers?
- [01:06:26] Thank you to the listeners for submitting the questions for today’s show.
- [01:06:33] If you’re a regular listener, consider becoming a patron and on our Patreon at www.ADHDreWired.com