This Week’s Episode:
This episode is the recording of October’s live Q&A. The questions answered in this episode were submitted by listeners of this podcast, both ahead of time and live. Brendan Mahan once again joins me on this Q&A. On this episode, you will hear Brendan, and I talk with a few listeners and read some questions that had been submitted. We talk about ADHD and substance abuse, a child with ADHD who becomes emotionally sensitive with redirection, and something we label, “procrastappointment.”
You can listen to our live Q&A sessions on the second Tuesday of every month at 1:30 pm Eastern. Join Brendan Mahan and me as we answer your questions live. You can register at https://www.adhdrewired.com/events.
Connect with Brendan Mahan
- [11:26] – Erica brings up the topic of ADHD and substance abuse. Brenden and I share our experiences as smokers.
- [24:04] – Sarah asks if there is a term for her type of procrastination. We invent one called “procrastappointment.” We share some tips on getting out of this pattern, including not taking appointment cards!
- [33:38] – Marisol recently had parent-teacher conferences. The teacher asked about her daughter’s emotional sensitivity. Brendan shares some of his expertise with this situation.
- [40:49] – Marisol wonders how to teach her daughter that redirections are not a failure.
- [47:20] – Rachel asks about self-guided learning and online classes with an ADHD brain. I share that I consider this to be “registering for good intentions.” Brendan talks about how to create the structure to be successful in this type of endeavor.
- [51:07] – Sarah asks if we have figured out how to slow down our lives. I believe she has taken the first step by asking that question. I encourage anyone in this situation to decrease overwhelm by saying “no” like we are passing out candy on Halloween.