Spring Season: April - mid-June 2021
Registration is by invitation only. Click below to learn more.
We have a different type of episode for you this week. Brendan Mahan joins me for this episode. We’re talking about sleep! Brendan and I had our monthly Q&A episode last week, and we ended the episode on the topic of sleep.
Since the beginning of the year, my sleep has been incredible. On the other hand, Brendan has struggled with sleep. He cites a number of changes in his weekly schedule as the primary reason for this. Throughout this conversation, you will hear many of the changes in routine and strategies I have implemented that has led to a higher quality of sleep.
Connect with Brendan Mahan
- [03:31] – Brendan shares the reasons why his sleep has not been great recently.
- [05:32] – My wife and I sleep in separate bedrooms because of our differences in sleep.
- [06:52] – Brendan provides us with another reason why his quality of sleep has suffered.
- [08:44] – I share my strategy behind using specific language with my goals to help me get my sleep on track.
- [10:38] – Another goal I have for this year is on the topic of difficult conversations.
- [14:07] – Brendan talks about how boundary-setting helps his sleep.
- [20:55] – One of my goals was to have a deeper connection with myself. A meditation class is helping me accomplish this. I’ve also started journaling. I talk about how my writing strategy is soothing for me.
- [29:24] – I have been participating in a meditation class, and explain my efforts to stomach the “woo woo.”
- [35:27] – Sleepytime tea has been a key addition to my evening routine.
- [38:29] – Believe it or not, closing my closet doors helps me wind down and prepare for sleep. If I’m going to look at a screen an hour or two before sleep, I put on Blublocker glasses. This leads to a discussion on boundaries around screen-time.
- [46:21] – I talk about using supplements and medication to help with sleep.
- [49:53] – I have changed what I listen to at night. I play a sample of what helps me go to sleep.
- [55:04] – 9:15 is the tuck time. 9:45 is my next target-time, to get upstairs.
- [58:56] – I use sleep notes in my Sleep Cycle app, and it indicates that when I stick to my strategies, my sleep benefits from it.
- [1:08:05] – Warm showers and meditation have helped me the most with my sleep.